This week has been a blur. Busy, busy, busy. Here are just a few highlights.
1. Kaylee had an exhibition meet for gymnastics. She was able to show us all that she has learned. It was really fun to see her in action.
2. My sewing machine died. If you know me and know how much I sew, this is not good. The guy at the store was able to get it going for me, but I have a new one on order. This sewing machine (my first machine) lasted 9 years. Not bad for how much sewing I’ve done on it. I should try and add up all the quilts, table runners, headbands, skirts, and mending jobs I’ve done. It would be so interesting. I’m excited to finally own a Bernina. It should be here in a week or two.
3. Kaylee and Kyler performed at the Dance Festival at their school. It was really short and packed with a bunch of people, but we managed to find our kids to watch. They are great dancers! Kaylee danced to “Beat it” and Kyler danced to “YMCA.”
4. We (Brian) helped the kids with a pine wood derby car. Our whole ward was invited to participate. They kids choose “Perry the Platypus” for their car and Brian got a last minute idea to make a chocolate bar. They turned out so fun! Unfortunately, neither of them went fast. It was a little bummer until we started cheering for our car to come in last! We came home with 2 awards. The chocolate bar won the “slowest car” award and the Perry car won the “most original” award. 5. We were thoroughly entertained this morning by a cat in our backyard. (We don’t own any cats.) When I tried to shoo it out of our yard, it proceeded to try and jump/climb over our vinyl fence. Didn’t work out so good. He tried over and over. Brian even got a video of it. So funny. I finally helped it out through the gate.
6. We had a fire drill at church today. Just at the end of sacrament meeting (but before the closing song and prayer) the fire alarm went off! We all exited the church and watched as 2 fire trucks, police, and an ambulance came. We were outside for about 40 minutes before they cleared the building for us to go back in. We only had a 20 minute primary lesson. Wasn’t too bad, but the kids were all wired from all the excitement.
7. Brian and I have both eaten better and exercised more this week. We did good. After a week we are both down a couple pounds. Hopefully we can do it again next week.
It’s been a great Saturday at our house. Not a whole lot on the schedule, which made the day wide open for things to get done around the house and yard. Nice. The funny part about today was that we had 2 teeth fall out! Kaylee’s was barely moving and just happen to fall out while eating a snack. Kyler’s has been very loose and hanging by a thread for a day or two now. He was nervous about it hurting, so he didn’t want me to touch it. Finally, after a long day of reminding him not to swallow it, he finally let me get it out. He was surprised that it didn’t even hurt. Kaylee is smiling funny to try and show the empty spot in her mouth, while Kyler’s missing tooth is a lot more obvious.
This is now what Tyson looks like. He wants to be like the big kids so bad! He is trying so hard to keep up with them. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that it would be a few more years before his “loose” tooth would fall out.
Every day when the kids go to school, Tyson feels left out. He wants to go too. To make him feel a little better we tell him he get to go to “home school.” So, for our “home school” lesson last week, we made strawberry freezer jam. Tyson was a great help and really enjoyed himself. I promise I didn’t let him lick the spoon until we were done!
I’m so glad that we have found some new uses for Kaylee’s old vanity that she has long since out grown.
This week is Teacher Appreciation Week. As part of my job as a room mom, I was in charge of decorating the door. I tried so hard to come up with something creative and new. Thanks to help from Brian, this is what we came up with.I love how it turned out!! Kaylee’s teacher told me that in her 11 years of teaching, she had never seen this one done before. That’s what I was hoping for! We were really lucky this year getting 2 really great teachers.
Or so I thought. I’ve always told myself I wasn’t a runner. Today I proved myself wrong. I have never had a big interest in running, but this year (in my efforts to be healthier) I challenged myself to pick up the pace. I have committed my sisters to running a 5K with me this summer, but I felt like I wanted a pre-test to see how I’d do (and IF I could do it!) Luckily, I had Cali in the neighborhood and talked her into doing it with me (even though she gave birth only 3 months ago!) I thought May was supposed to be warmer, but it was nippy at 8:00 am. You can see the sprinkles on my shirt here and that was just the beginning. We didn’t know what was coming (which was probably good!) The more we ran, the wetter we got. We had rain, wind, and hail! I used to see runners out in the cold and think that they were seriously crazy and today I was one of them. Running or jogging the whole race was a goal of mine. I’ve ran 3.1 miles straight before, but it was always on a treadmill, so I wasn’t sure about how I would do outside and in the rain. It was probably the excitement of race day that kept me going the whole way. We slowed for a few steps to get a drink at the half way point and that’s it. The clock says 30 minutes, 38 seconds when we crossed, but the official time should be closer to 30 minutes, 30 seconds. Not too bad for my first try.We were soaked clear through by the end of the race. Luckily it didn’t feel too cold until we cooled down a little. We were rewarded afterwards with oranges, bananas, water bottles, and fresh french toast that was very tasty. See there are a few perks for running a race. If the weather would have been better, I would have liked getting a massage. Next time, right?? Yes, there will for sure be more of these short races in my future. I still don’t have much desire for a marathon or even a half marathon, but I’ve been told not to say never. They say this running thing is addictive. We’ll see.
(Thanks for running with me Cali!)